Incorrect Birth Certificate

Aggie Hoffman

My husband recently became a US citizen from Iran. We would like to petition his mother to come live with us, however, on his birth certificate, his parents listed are actually his grandparents (so his mother shows as his sister). This was done because his mother was unwed when she gave birth.

I am just trying to find a starting point, who to contact so that we can bring his 70 year-old mother to live with us. How do we establish correct paternity?

My husband has joined the US Army and is in Afghanistan. Who I would contact to even begin the process?

This is a complex situation and one that would require careful analysis and discussion of options with an immigration lawyer. Paternity is clearly an issue here, but today we can rely on DNA testing to assist in the successful resolution of your case.

Have your own question similar to this one? Send a question to our Los Angeles offices and one of our specialists will contact you with an answer.
Bookmark the permalink.