Work Permit for Student

Aggie Hoffman

I am from Mexico and have been here since age 5 and am now in high school. I have heard a lot in the news about work permits for students like me who have been here since early age. There are already advertisements from notarios and lawyers. When can I apply? What do I need to do? How long will it take for the process?

The answer to your question is information that many must have. It is most important to understand that although the benefit you mention has been announced, it has not yet been implemented. This is because the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has not yet published the procedure or the evidence that will be required to determine qualification to applicants.

The USCIS is itself taking steps to alert the public about scams that target people like you, will take your money, give you no advice or the wrong advice and could cause irreversible damage, such as removal from the U.S. You can read more about it here.

The USCIS explains: “Only attorneys or accredited representatives can:

  • Give you legal advice about which forms to submit
  • Explain immigration options you may have
  • Communicate with USCIS about your case.”

Beware of “notarios” who are neither qualified, recognized, nor licensed to assist in immigration proceedings. Also misleading are businesses who combine services such as “insurance, tax, passport photos, and immigration” services. Likewise be suspicious of those who ask for money now, before it is known who will qualify and under what circumstances. Be patient; you will be better off.

Have your own question similar to this one? Send a question to our Los Angeles offices and one of our specialists will contact you with an answer.
Bookmark the permalink.