Can I Marry my Boyfriend to Stop Deportation?

Aggie Hoffman

My boyfriend got arrested and now he is being held in county jail by ICE. If we get married, will they still deport him? He has three DUI’s and does not have a valid drivers license. We have been together for eight years and have a six year old son together.

If your boyfriend has 3 DUI’s he may be considered a danger to the public. He will likely be placed in removal proceedings. If you want to marry him, you may file for his immigration. If he entered illegally, he will need a waiver of inadmissibility based on extreme hardship to you, and likely another waiver for his DUIs. The case is complex, you must immediately consult an experienced immigration lawyer and also a criminal defense lawyer who must work to minimize a conviction for his current DUI arrest.

Have your own question similar to this one? Send a question to our Los Angeles offices and one of our specialists will contact you with an answer.
Bookmark the permalink.